Saturday, February 5, 2011

Introduction: I am a new Areco fan

HOW I GOT TO KNOW ARECO

Hi, I am Maria Darcy, a teacher of Spanish as a second language. I am a native of the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina, but, because of my profession, I get and keep in touch with a lot of people from all over the world. My best friend, Mark, lives thousands of kilometres away in the city of Seattle. It is precisely through my pupils and friends abroad that I have got to know many places in my own country.

I am always in for a surprise when it comes to visiting villages, towns and cities. It is usually foreigners who appreciate and eventually see another aspect of a seemingly ignored place, a habit that we Argentines usually take for granted like eating a good steak, or listening to a great musical ensemble such as Bajofondo.

I became surprised again less than a month ago when I happened to travel to one of the most picturesque and traditional towns in the province of Buenos Aires, the unique San Antonio de Areco. It was Mark who, out of curiosity and eager to experience a place with folk traditions, encouraged me to visit Areco with him. I am so glad I accepted the proposal. I hope those who read this blog will some day make a point of coming to Argentina and go through this experience themselves. They will never regret it.

Let me tell you now how I became a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment